Send us your updates


Click the link below to visit our website for contact info. Send us an email with a few pics or links and let us know how your new family member is doing.

Contact us





Tonka, Mess, Obi & Buddy's Happy Ending

Tonka - Mess - Obi & Buddy

Hi everyone!

I thought it was about time for me to send a happy endings letter myself, seeing as I do have 4 UCHS alumni in my family.

As you can see from the pictures, Mess and Tonka, the first two UCHS animals to be adopted into our household and the felines that rule the roost, are fit and fabulous. They love each other and they love our newest member, Buddy. Mess and Obi haven't quite figured out their relationship yet but lately it's been one of quiet indifference and Tonka finds great pleasure in playing his surprise attack game with Obi. The cats have become master cat burglars, breaking into just about any closed door or cupboard. Mess particularly enjoys finding the paper towel and then shredding it into a snowy mess. We have attempted to put them on a feeding schedule rather than being free-fed, but they have thwarted this plan several times, first by ripping open their hidden bag of food (see earlier cat burglar comments) and then by threatening to trip me while walking down the stairs if I do not fill up their food bowl. Tonka's greatest pleasure in life is snuggling between mom and dad at night and having dad roll over on top of him. You haven't heard purring until you've seen a squashed Tonka. Mess and Tonka have come a long way from being abandoned in a car and a dumpster in mid winter respectively.

Obi, the first UCHS dog we added to our pack has been nothing but trouble since day one. The Labrador star of Marley and Me has nothing on my Obes. Although we are long past the days of destructive separation-anxiety (we replaced door handles, door trim, mattresses, cat beds, two wire crates and curtains just to name a few items), he is still endlessly energetic with the attitude of a spoiled child. We recently moved from a home outside of Guelph where Obi had to say goodbye to his good friend and neighbour Rex (and Rex a very relieved good-riddance to Obi) to an apartment inside the city limits and, in truth, I think this is the best place for him yet. We go out for a 45 minute walk on a nearby trail in the morning, a half hour brisk walk around the neighbourhood at lunch and an hour long evening stroll after dinner. As I type, he is briefly tired out and sleeping peacefully at my feet with his canine sister. Now don't get me wrong, he is a wonderful, free-spirited, youthful, joyful and sweet-hearted dog. I just keep waiting for age to come along and help me settle the brute down. As I have said many times, dogs are either born with looks or personality and Obi is VERY handsome.

Finally there is my Buddy girl. My nine year old final addition to my current family is as perfect today as she was when she was "just a foster dog". Buddy loves people, dogs, catsand even the pesky squirrels that cause her brother to "wig out" during out walks. Although she is around ninety pounds, our sweet girl has never outgrown her desire to snuggle up in our laps. Her medical problems keep mounting but thankfully, with my job at a vet clinic, we are able to keep on top of the latest tests and treatments available. Despite her chronic ACL tear, her arthritis, her thyroid and skin problems, Buddy never has a down day and is a soft and sensitive dog. She hates the cold and the rain but loves dressing up and has a small collection of sweaters and jackets to ward off the elements. She also hates her muzzle which she now has to wear since we moved but I ordered a custom made, soft leather, hot pink one online that should be arriving soon. No one said the B.S.(L) law couldn't be fashionable.

Allison

No comments:

Post a Comment