Send us your updates


Click the link below to visit our website for contact info. Send us an email with a few pics or links and let us know how your new family member is doing.

Contact us





Callie's Happy Ending

Callie

Back in January 2008 I adopted Callie the Australian Cattle Dog that nobody seemed to want. I saw her picture one day while considering adopting another Australian Cattle Dog. When I read her story I knew I had to meet her. It seemed as though she was a misunderstood Cattle Dog and some of her
"problem" behaviours were nothing more than frustrated Cattle Dog antics. I visited her a few times and made the decision to give her a chance - I'm glad I did!

At the time of Callie's adoption, I had a purebred Cattle Dog named Cairo who was six years old and became Callie's new play, hiking and camping companion. In addition, I also have a cat named Gerrard. Six and a half months after adopting Callie, Cairo was diagnosed with cancer and died a few weeks later. Callie was a huge help to me in the following weeks as I dealt with (and still am dealing with) Cairo's death.

Callie came to me with a history of being a soccer ball and frisbee athlete/fanatic. I am pleased to say that both of those sports are still a huge part of her life. Now she is also a camper and hiker who loves the great outdoors. Every car ride is a potential adventure to her.

As for her "problem" behaviours...she occasionally still grabs at ankles and pant legs when overly excited, but only if there isn't a toy close by to grab instead! None of her other problems were evident after adoption. Again, I think that she was just acting out some of her frustrations. She consistently displays her Cattle Dog smarts and quickly learns commands and as is typical of the breed, will show attitude as well!

Callie has a stuffed soccer ball in the house and three outside ones and an outdoor frisbee that she cannot get enough of. In the hot weather, when it's too hot to walk or hike, I fill up the pool for her and she has a pool party, which is actually her splashing most of the water out of the pool!

Callie now has a new "brother"...a Cattle Dog mix named Bill who is approximately two years old. He is originally from North Carolina and was transferred to a Cattle Dog rescue here in Ontario. His personality is submissive which is a perfect match for Callie's dominant attitude. They are best buddies and she has helped him adjust to life in a house after being a stray. The two of them get along with Gerrard the cat and are adjusting to our new addition from Upper Credit Humane Society - Ticker the cat. (more about him another time)

The attached photo is from our trip to North Carolina/Tennessee/Georgia to meet the people who originally rescued Bill and arranged for health care and transfer to Ontario. Callie and Bill both enjoyed the mountains!

Sindee, Callie, Bill, Gerrard and Oscar.

No comments:

Post a Comment