Send us your updates


Click the link below to visit our website for contact info. Send us an email with a few pics or links and let us know how your new family member is doing.

Contact us





Gord

 
-----Original Message-----
From: Ann Gelsheimer
Sent: January 22, 2012 3:00 PM
To: Karen
Subject: RE: just a little update on Gord

Hi Karen
For sure I will bring Gord by for a visit one day when it warms up a bit. In the meantime, I am attaching a couple of pictures of him for you to enjoy. He loves to sit in an unused black leather chair in my study, so it is now "Gord's chair". His fur is now quite glossy and he is very healthy. I have to leave the light-weight leash on as he is still not happy sharing life with two male dogs, but he is less aggressive now and usually responds to my call even when he is upset. He did bite my pet-sitter recently--luckily, Thom is a pro and did not seem to be put off. Also luckily, he still had on his coat, so there were no injuries to his arm.

With me, Gord is so loving and gentle and I give him a lot of kisses and cuddles daily that he seems to soak-up. I just have to watch him a bit because sometimes odd things trigger his fear/aggression. I was brushing one of my dogs the other day and Gord suddenly jumped and nipped my hand that was holding the brush. He does not like brushing at all, even when it is happening to another dog. It reminded me of someone with PTSD--he was remembering something nasty I think.

Anyways, I will stay in touch. He is very dear to me.
Take care,
Ann

From: adoptions@uppercredit.com
To: ann.gelsheimer
Subject: RE: just a little update on Gord
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2011 20:12:30 -0500

Hi Ann,
Sorry I have been away for a couple of weeks and just got your letter now. Thanks for the update. It sounds like things are settling down, and that you are doing a good job managing Mr.. Gord. I'm really sad that I missed you, maybe there will be another time when it is convenient to stop by with him. He always did have a special place in my heart.
Thanks so much for sticking with him, I am so happy for Gord ( and you : ) )
He must have been pretty upset to be back here if he pooped on the floor. I'm sure his time here was not the highpoint of his life.
Keep in touch,
Sincerely,
Karen Hunsberger
Upper Credit Humane Society
Tel. 905-833-2287
 
-----Original Message-----
From: Ann Gelsheimer
Sent: November 29, 2011 7:24 AM
To: adoptions@uppercredit.com
Subject: just a little update on Gord

Hi Karen
This is just a little update about Gord. In some ways he is doing really well, although his aggression issues with the other male dogs are still a problem (no real problem with Gracie, my one female dog). With me alone, he is really good. He is very loving, enjoys a lot of affection, and is very accepting of whatever I want. He loves to go for a walk and is pretty easy to walk with--I enjoy it too. He does not sleep in the same room with me and the other dogs. I was worried that there would be a big dog fight over my head on the bed in the middle of the night because he wants to sleep on the bed and my dog Rocky always sleeps on the bed; Gord is particularly offended by Rocky--probably for that reason. Gord seemed to understand that this is not a good situation, so one night he just chose to sleep in the study on the couch. That has been working really well; although sometimes he wants to go upstairs with us, he is easy to redirect to the study at bedtime. He is not at all destructive in the study and seems content in the morning and happy to see me. He is still somewhat anxious about going outside unless I go out first.

The times that are a problem are when I am in the study with the other dogs and Gord suddenly gets annoyed at one of the males and runs at them growling and barking. There is often no provocation that I can see other than what Gord is thinking. I know that sounds wierd, but Gord will be lying in his leather chair apparently napping and suddenly start growling when no one has even moved. He lifts his head, finds the male dog that ticks him off (could be Rocky or Hawk) and then runs at that dog. I leave the leash on him and just quietly tell him no and firmly walk him out of the room for a while. Sometimes we do this several times per night, but it seems there is less aggressive contact now. He postures and growls, but there is less actual fighting. My dogs know I will walk him out so they do not react as much. I do plan to contact an animal behaviourist in December (have names now from my vet), but for now, everyone seems safe. I think the battle is usually about me as I do not notice any signs of fighting after a day at work. I feel most sorry for Rocky as he does not like to fight, although he can defend himself, and he whines afterwards as if to say, "Why does this keep happening?"

I really love the little guy. I will be studying more about being an alpha dog so that I am not confusing him with too much affection, but it is hard for me to walk by him without giving Gord a kiss or a cuddle, which he seems to really like. I do this with all my dogs and they come looking for it. They give kisses too.

I hope your day is going well. I will stay in touch and let you know what happens. I am sorry I missed you by a couple of minutes when I came by to officially adopt him. The man that was there behind the desk said Gord looked "so much more alive", even if he did poop on the floor. : )
Best wishes,
Ann

No comments:

Post a Comment