Send us your updates


Click the link below to visit our website for contact info. Send us an email with a few pics or links and let us know how your new family member is doing.

Contact us





Argyle (formerly Bane) - Adopted Sept. 18, 2012


 
 
Hello,

I adopted Argyle (formerly Bane) from your shelter September 18 of last year. I wanted to send you an update on how he is doing :)

When I first adopted him, he didn't know any basic commands and was a bit...well….crazy. He was 76 lbs of INSANE and I loved every bit of it. A lot of my friends and family were worried he would be "too much dog" for me. Well, as a team, we proved them wrong. 

We had a rough go at it the first few months. I was still living in a condo and commuting to work. We got two hours of outside exercise in every day, but it still wasn't enough. He was getting into a lot of trouble. I was learning all about giant rambunctious dog ownership. So, we enlisted in dog school at the Canine Academy in Moffat. Turns out, Argyle is a very fast learner and he graduated the program with high scores across the board. Exercise was still an issue though. I made the decision last winter to find tenants for my condo and I moved us to huge barn apartment on a horse farm in Fergus. This is where life changed for the better. Because Argyle mastered his recall skills and the apartment is half a kilometre from the road, he's allowed to play off leash on the property. The neighbours' dogs all come to see him on a regular basis and they have a blast (luckily, he never goes to the neighbours' houses). Around the same time, my office relocated to a farm in Aberfoyle. Life got DOUBLE good. Argyle comes to work with me every day. He has his own electric fence collar and roams the farm freely. He comes in and out as he pleases, gets walked at lunch every day and even participates in our conference calls. 

Argyle is also a fantastic runner. We've always casually jogged from the beginning, but in the spring, I started to train seriously for competitive racing. Argyle is my number 1 training buddy. He has joined me on runs up to 21 KM in length and by the end, he's the one pulling me forward. In August, we raced the Highland Games 10 KM TOGETHER! There's a picture in the collage attached. 

So, we had a rough start but we've learned a lot from each other and adjusted nicely. Argyle is now 10 lbs heavier (it's all muscle, the vet applauded his physique this summer), he knows his commands and then some (actually knows all his toys by name), he's a competitive runner (he he) and is as healthy as can be. He loves to snuggle on the couch once the sun goes down and his best friend is my tortoise shell, Murry. 

Adopting Argyle was the best decision I ever made. I had no idea what I was in for, but we made it work with lots of love and dedication! I can't imagine life without him now. Thank you so so so very much for having faith in me as a parent and adopting him out to me. He's a poster dog for why people should adopt and we promote adoption all the time. 

Best Regards,

Kathleen and Argyle

No comments:

Post a Comment